Sunday, January 23, 2011

LIFE AND DEATH

When we are children most of us do not have to face death at an early age, mots of us are lucky enough to not have to deal with it until later on in life. Not me! My very first experience with loss was when I was 11 years old and my Aunt Inge passed away. I was confused and didn't really know what was going on. All I knew was what my father told me which was "you aunt has died and has gone to heaven" he never really explained the whole death and dying thing to me. So for a long time I was really confused. I have lost a lot of loved ones over the years but I have to say the the worst by far was my mother. She died November 3, 2004. That day will forever haunt me! Yes I was an adult when she passed but that does not make it any easier. My mother was my best friend and in an instant she was gone. It is a very hard thing to go through. I feel like I will never recover from that! People told me how sorry they were and that things would get better and after a while I would forget...NO! YOU NEVER FORGET!!! and NO it don't get easier you just learn how to adapt to life with out your loved one and you keep going but it is in the back of your mind all the time and you think about it all the time. Our string of losses all started in May of 2004 when my husband lost his mother to cancer and the n my mother in November 0f 2004, then there was my grandmother in February 2006 and my husbands grandfather in October of 2006, and my grandfather in September of 2008. My children have been dealt with a "lifetime of loss". And they are still recovering from them all but I ask you: Do you ever really recover? and If you do, at what cost to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment